How to apply
The 2019 WNU Summer Institute will be held from 23 June to 27 July in Romania and in Switzerland, including technical visits in both countries.
"I had the incredibly privilege to be part of the Summer Institute since its inception in 2005. In my feeling this is by far the best leadership course in the world for young people, who are going to be our leaders in the next ten to thirty years. This is the cream of the crop and in their early age they have the chance to learn from the top of nuclear leaders from all around the world. And the most important thing is that they bond. There are now 1000 of these fellows, that are going to be our leaders, in fact are our leaders, and they know each other. It is absolutely incredible." Alan Waltar, Retired Senior Advisor, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Application for the WNU Summer Institute 2019 are closed
Application for the WNU Summer Institute 2020 will open in September 2019
The WNU Summer Institute programme is designed to expand participants’ horizons across the full spectrum of issues surrounding nuclear energy. Built on a foundation of instruction from some of the world's foremost leaders in science, engineering and the global environment, the programme is augmented by team-building exercises and numerous technical visits of nuclear and related facilities.
Applicants must provide evidence of meeting the following requirements:
- Currently employed in the nuclear sector, with at least 3 years of relevant work experience;
- Advanced University degree (Master degree or equivalent 4 years of work experience) in nuclear energy sciences related field;
- Demonstrated academic or professional excellence and leadership potential with two recommendation letters;
- Proficiency in English, particularly oral communication, which is essential for effective participation in the WNU-SI programme. Non-native English speaker will be asked to submit an English language certificate to demonstrate their language skills.
Selection places considerable weight on an applicant's demonstrated leadership potential. The aim of the selection process is to have a class of WNU Fellows composed of an internationally diverse mix of top professionals already in industry or government service. Applications from qualified women are encouraged. Gender balance and diversity are important for the World Nuclear University as these contribute to a broader collective perspective, consistently adding value to the programme and individual learning. There is no age limit and the typical average age of WNU Summer Institute Fellows is 33.
All applications should come through this page.
1) Application with IAEA funding - Deadline 23 November 2018
Covers travel and full tuition fee (see below for included in tuition fee)
Please note: Applications should be made only on the WNU page for IAEA support.
Make sure you have the support of the National Liaison Officer in your country.
This selection is made through a consultation process, led by the WNU Coordinating Centre. The shortlisted applications will be submitted to the IAEA for further reviewing and a final decision. The selection process can be lengthy.
If you have been selected for support you will be contacted with further instructions.
2) Application with support from company or other sponsors - Deadline: 15 February 2019
Tuition fee: £12,400
The selection of Fellows will be made through a consultation process led by the WNU Coordinating Centre.
Tuition fee includes:
- Course materials and mentorship
- Meals for the duration of the Summer Institute
- En suite accommodation during the academic programme
- Technical tours to nuclear installations
- Cultural tours and social events
- Books: Nuclear Energy in the 21st Century (2018 Edition), and Nuclear English
Travel from the home country to the location of the WNU Summer Institute, travel from Romania to Switzerland, and insurance are not included.
All applicants should ensure that they have full approval from supervisors to attend the Summer Institute before applying. If you have made an application and for any reason, you will not be able to attend, please notify the WNU as soon as possible.