The Open University online course: The Science of Nuclear Energy
28 April 2020
With the need to reduce carbon emissions around the world, the way we generate our power has to change and nuclear energy is back on the political agenda.
But do you know your fission from your fusion? Would you like to make an informed decision about whether we should get electricity from nuclear power?
This free online course from the Open University will delve into the science behind nuclear power, explaining what happens inside a nuclear reactor and what radioactive elements are.
It will explore the arguments for and against nuclear power, and its role in future energy planning alongside other energy sources.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the physics of nuclear fission.
- Explore how a nuclear power station works.
- Explore and examine the problems associated with nuclear power. Weigh up and debate potential solutions to these problems.
- Assess the energy needs today and the part that nuclear power has to play.
- Compare and survey current and future technologies.